Friday 21 December 2012

Stained Glass Ginger Cookies, Eggless colored cookies



Its Christmas time!!! Yay...this festival just makes me happy....and so much so that I almost feel like Santa (without the elves)!!! I go into baking overdrive and bake and bake and bake like there is no tommorrow...and end up with so many cakes and cookies that in the end I dunno what to do with them so my kiddo and hubbys friends end up making merrry!!! 

But then Christmas is always about giving and spreading cheers right??? Every year I bring home a small Xmas tree albeit a faux one...but here the emotions count...and decorate it with cute accessories.
This year I wanted to make the accessories, so what better than these edible ones!!!

Ya, it was purely on experimental basis as I was trying these cookies for the first time and the stained glass did not look perfect but then they tasted so good....I have tried to rectify my goof ups in the recipes that I have posted. So guess You will get it right....so cheers and happy baking!!!



Ingredients:

For the stained glass:

Hard boiled sugar toffees (fruit flavored) in different colors

For the cookies:

1/2 cup        Sugar
1 cup           Butter
1 1/4 cup     Flour (I used self raising flour)
1 tsp           Grated Ginger

a little milk if required

Method:



Crush the toffees into powder using a mallet or even our good ole belan will do.



Just put the same colored toffees in a lock bag and crush them so they don't create a mess.

Cream the butter and sugar together till fluffy. Add the ginger and the flour slowly and mix. (Here I have used self raising flour so If using the regular one just add about a tsp of baking powder and sieve it before using.). If the dough becomes dry add about 1 tsp of milk. Knead the dough, wrap it in a cling wrap and keep it in the fridge for an hour.


Remover the dough and roll it to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into different shapes using cookie cutters. Use smaller cutters or knife to cut smaller shapes in the cookies.


Line the baking tray with butter paper. Transfer the cookies to the tray about 1 inch apart. Using a spoon fill the hollowed out centers with the crushed candy. Do not mound the fillings just level it till it touched the edges.(here I made the mistake of mounding the filling and did not get a even texture ). Gently brush off the excess as it will color the cookies.



Bake at 180 degrees for 15 to 20 mins or till the cookies begin to brown at the edges.


Remove and cool. Allow the cookies to cool down completely else the candy centers may come off.

These can be used as ornaments on Christmas trees. Just make a hole in the cookies before baking.









this is our entry for
hosted at

and
SYF&HWS - Ginger



This is our entry for 



This is our entry for


My Culinary Creations: Cookies And cakes For Xmas




 This is our entry for

SYF & HWS - Ginger


SYF&HWS - Ginger



This our entry for


Kid's Delight-Desserts 

 

























1 comment:

  1. Oh that is so picture perfect!!! Thanks for sending this yummy ginger recipe to my event.. Looking for more yummy recipes...Please add the link to the event annoucement page on my blog also..
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - Mission - Breakfast

    ReplyDelete

We apppreciate your comments,suggestions and tips, so please feel free to share your views